Thursday, December 14, 2006

A time to talk and a time to SHUT UP!!!

I'm sure it has happened to you many times before when you say something and a couple minutes later you are beating yourself up about saying it! Ugh! It's one of the worst feelings ever! Almost like letting someone down!
An awesome verse that really applies to this is: Proverbs 10:19 - Where words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.
Us as girls have no problem talking and speaking our minds! I actually was trying to find a comic strip that my dad told me about that perfectly illustrated this. Basically it was a picture of a guys mouth and brain and a girls. The guys had this big maze that the words had to go through before he spoke it and the girls just had one big pipe!! LOL!! It's really pretty true though! Not saying at all that guys don't have to watch what they say but especially us girls!
I was sitting down last night talking with my parents about some things I was struggling with and finally realized that everything I was dealing with directly related to me talking to much! I am a pretty open person about things I'm going through(instead of gossiping about others I find I gossip about myself!! lol!) so when I tell people they voice there opinion which isn't bad at all(it's usually helpful) But I realized that I would take their opinion over what God had told me!! It happened over and over again until I realized that it was affecting my everyday life!
So the moral of this is before you speak think, will I regret saying this later on?, is this building the other person up at all or just satisfying my need to tell some "juicy" story?? Psalm 141:3 -Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. Proverbs 21:23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.
As you can see in this verse it is very serious business what you let come out of your mouth!!
One of the best most practical ways to keep your mouth shut when you want to let it all out is to ask the other person questions and keep them talking! It will keep you from the temptation of telling what you would hate to have said later on!
Ask God to give you wisdom on what you should and shouldn't say! Then the holy spirit will give you a little check in your heart about what you shouldn't say!! It's awesome!! Thankfully we are not alone in this whole thing!!
I love you all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sarah! Don't we all need to be reminded of this?? Thank you for your Godly wisdom.

Carole

Anonymous said...

Right on, Sarah!! This was one that the Lord had to repeat for me many, MANY times. But, praise the Lord, when you set a guard over your mouth, it affects your whole life!

J@KE said...

Good word Sarah...... Even us guys need to hear this...... Thanks.

J@KE

Liana said...

Thank for continuing this blog Sarah! Miss you much :)