Friday, May 04, 2007

What's discipline?? Do I even have it?


Hey beautiful girls!!
I'm am terribly sorry I have neglected this place for so long but the reason why is what I will be dealing with in this post, discipline..or the lack of it! haha!
The past couple weeks I have been noticing my office, bedroom, and life just getting messier and more cluttered!
Ugh!! Not cool! Especially when I have alot on my plate and to have disorganization everywhere, makes it hard to think or even process things!
What is the purpose for discipline anyways?? Why would I want it? Ok well say your going running, you get on your shoes, you know where your going, but this time you just decide not to tie your shoes! What will happen the minute you get out there! YOU trip!! Discipline not only helps propel us forward, but helps us get there quicker and in one piece!! haha!!

The best thing to do in many areas, to change a habit or cause a good change, is start small. I examined my life to see what was out of order and the first thing that came to mind was that I would just wake up whenever, get on my computer in my pajamas and work like that most of the day. Duh, why everything is out of order! lol!
I was praying awhile ago how I can adjust this and the first tip was a good but easy one that God gave me! Basically set office hours and don't go up there until then and when I do be fully dressed as if my office was out of the house! That DEFINITELY helped, so I put that in place.

Now for the next step!!! uh oh! lol! I prayed last night that God would wake me up when HE wanted me to wake up to have my devotional time. Well...guess what time that was??? 5:30!! But the awesome part was since he woke me up I was able to get up right away with no trouble even though I went to bed last night at midnight! I'm excited about this next step toward discipline in my life!

Do you think the president sits around in his pajamas all day and wakes up at any time??? NOPE!! He has set MANY disciplines in his life and it's taken him where he is today! I know discipline is a pretty harsh word and doesn't sound very fun! But really it takes ALOT of discipline to put the things in place but once they are there and become habits it's much easier and it can take you to the next level!! BUT guess what!! It's terribly hard to do or stay consistent on on our own! I've had MANY failed attempts at that! It helps SOOO far more when the Holy Spirit is guiding you in what to set in place and how to keep it there!

What small bit of discipline can you start to put into your life??? Find out what that is then ask God to help you with it and keep it there!! I love you all and am so excited for this journey!!

11 comments:

Natalie Joy said...

uh oh. thats something i need to work on. but idk about tellingn god he can wake me up at anytime he wants...:P ;) I guess thats just one more thing. lol

anxiousdog said...

Discipline isn't just for daily tasks, but also bad habits. I used to be a nail biter. My nails would never grow and when someone pointed it out to me I just said, "They won't grow, they always break so I bite them."

So one day I decided to stop biting my nails. I prayed that God would help me break this bad habit. Each time I found my hands near my mouth, I would stop and say a prayer. Not only did He provide me with great, strong, beautiful womanly nails, but I was able to praise Him more and more each day while breaking the habit.

But I should still get back to the gym... ;)

Samantha F. said...

Great post Sarah!

You're right about starting small. Little, sustainable changes are best, and if you keep talking to God about everything, He'll help you stay on track.

Glad you're posting here again!

Rebecca said...

Very true, discipline in very important!
I'm glad you posted again too!

Lisa Christine Photo said...

Great post-- Needed to hear it.
I'm working at my computer in pajamas right now and didn't get up when my alarm went off this morning... so thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, when we ask God to help us and give us what we need to live lives of discipline He is faithful and helps us! But here is a deeper step - try beginning your quest for a more disciplined life by asking God what He would like to change in you first. Let Him be in charge of making the list. Only He knows you well enough to write the story in order - it's His story, after all.

Anonymous said...

Do you have the discipline to make regular entries on your blog?

I don't. =OP

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I don't know you personally, but found your blog through OSP. As a mommy of 5, and full time photographer who struggles with order and discipline, I found this blog entry to be very enlightening and helpful!:) I really do just need to go to God and pray about these same things.

Thanks! Amy

Anonymous said...

Sarah: I've read this before, obviously, its been up for quite a few months, but something else caught my eye.

I really need to set boundaries in my business now that it's growing. I totally hear ya on the pyjamas thing and I need to work on that. Office hours sounds great. Thanks girl. :)

Sarah Barlow said...

YAY! I'm so glad this helped you all!! And you guys are right I need to show some discipline and write on here ALOT more often! I love you all so much!

Katie McNeil said...

So even more than two years later, this one is helping me out. I definitely need a lot of discipline in my life. Thanks for your insight!