Thursday, June 08, 2006

Modesty! Does it even exist?


Well that is up to you!!
I know I know! When you go to the store you see the CUTEST shirt, perfect color, perfect style and everything! You go try it on in the dressing room and it's just a little hard to get on, but it's all good it will stretch out in time. You look in the mirror and WHOA!!! You're sexy!!! It just shows a little bit of cleavage but it's ok it's not THAT much and it's a little too tight but once you wear it everyday by the end of the week it might be a little less tight...
Does this sound like what happens when you shop??? Come on I know!! I confess I have done this!
What is the problem with showing just a little bit?? It can't hurt anyone!! Everyone else is wearing it!! It is soooo hard if not impossible to find modest clothes!!! Guess what!!! It can be done!!!
Whenever I'm feeling super discouraged about what to wear, thinking there is nothing out there, I go spend some time with my cousins!! LOL!! The Barlowgirls!
Something that I have learned from them is layers are VERY good!! Long undershirts and regular t-shirts can both be put under those really cute shirts! Be creative!!
What is the reason we don't want to show all this?
For me the reason that I try to dress modestly is because I don't want guys coming after me for the wrong reasons! JUST for what I'm showing! Girls, guys are motivated by vision!! When they see that, it is really hard for them to not take notice! We need to protect the guys around us and love them enough to not cause them to stumble!! It's worth it! Would you rather have a guy like you for who you are or for what you are showing!??
I'm definitely still working on this! So not everyone is perfect! The area that I'm stuggling with is finding shirts that don't show everything when you lean over!!! Ah!! But it can be done!!
So just go out and buy those longer shirts that cover your stomach and higher shirt's that cover that cleavage!! Save it for after your married!!! Not everyone needs to see it!! :) Plus we get to SHOP more!! Who doesn't love that!!

4 comments:

mark said...

Thank You!
as a guy, you know how hard it is to talk to someone when you have to make a conscious effort to not look down.

If your a girl and thinking about wearing something that makes you look sexy, think about the meaning of that word, [from Merriam Webster]: sexually suggestive or stimulating.
stimulating a guy is the last thing you want to do (unless he's your husband).
also don't leave swimsuits out of your thinking, you notice many of them cover less than your everyday underwear.
remember guys usually focus clearly on one thing.
so when dressing take a second to think, "where am i putting their focus"

Anonymous said...

GLORY TO GOD al last somebody besides my mom is talking about this. Keep up the good work sarah. OH yeah mark i could not have said it better.

Sarah Barlow said...

WOW!! Awesome response from both of you!! I'm so glad that guys are reading this too!! And yeah Mark that's so true!! :)

Sarah Barlow said...

Um...Adam I thought you call me your mom!! LOL!!
Now both moms are saying it!! haha!!