Monday, June 12, 2006

My first love.

You know how when someone falls in love with someone else they are so excited? They can't stop spending time with that other person, all they talk and think about is them? Well I noticed the same type of thing happens when someone gets saved!! They get sooo excited about God all they can do is talk about him and they get so excited about his word!! I noticed though that usually the people that this happens to are those who get saved later in life, who notice a huge difference in everything. What about those who got saved when they were really little!?? What do we do? We didn't necessarily have any major turnaround, we just said the prayer after our parents or whoever and knew that we were going to heaven! Yea! BUT!! What about being totally and utterly in love with God? For me I really started noticing it a couple years ago...
I wasn't in love with God...I hadn't even had that first love experience like so many people have had! So one day I cried out to God and told him exactly how I felt: that I loved other things more than him and I wanted him to be my first love, to fully have my heart! Sooo...he had me do something drastic! Our old pastor after every service would do an alter call...and for a couple weeks God was ministering for me to go up!! Yeah right! I was a Christian! Those were all sinners who were going up! Finally, that morning that I cried out to him, he spoke to me to go up that night to rededicate my life to him and to get baptized! Well I just got sick! What would people think of me!?? OMG!! That couldn't have been God telling me that! I couldn't do anything that day because I was so concerned and finally my parents noticed and asked what was up....I told them...and..they agreed that they thought it was God!! Ah!! So I did it that night! It was one of the hardest things ever but I had to get out of myself and make that public declaration! And trust me it wasn't overnight that all of a sudden I was sooo in love with God. It has been a process but an awesome one!! I'm am not saying at all that you all have to go up to the alter to rededicate...that is just what God gave me to do. He might give you something else. But the real question is: Is God your first love?

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

SB, you are one amazing girl!! I've been reading for a while, but I just had to tell you that I'm utterly impressed with the notion that you're a bonafide sell-out for Jesus Christ...you go girl!

Anonymous said...

It's good that God is so important for you, I admire it..
the only thing I can't understand is that some people feel God's power and love and some not...

Sarah Barlow said...

Thank you so much Jasmine! God is awesome:) Miss you girl!

Thereska, I totally understand that there is so much hurt and trouble in the world that alot of people don't necessarily feel God's pressence or love, but that is where we really have to trust him!! And know that he is there all along!!! Keep pressing!! He loves you no matter what! :)